- For the Salad
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound Tuscan or curly kale (about 1 large bunch), thick center rib removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely grated or chopped Parmigiano Reggiano
- For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, from about 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, from one large shallot
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. Bake the walnuts for 5-8 minutes, until toasted and fragrant. Keep a close eye on them; they burn quickly.
- Combine the brussels sprouts and kale in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over the vegetables. Add most of the walnuts and cheese, reserving some to garnish the platter, and toss well. Let the salad sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or up to a few hours in the fridge) to allow the flavors to meld and the vegetables to soften. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving dish and scatter the remaining walnuts and cheese over top. Serve at room temperature.
This recipe is by Jennifer Segal who was inspired by BonAppetit and is shared from the following website: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad-parmesan-walnuts-lemon-mustard-dressing.html