Honey Carrot Cake
This recipe is moist and delicious! Best of all...no refined sugar!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrot
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. In a large bowl, stir together the honey, buttermilk, eggs, oil and 2 teaspoons of vanilla until well blended. Add the flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture, and stir until all of the dry ingredients are absorbed. Stir in the carrot, pineapple, and walnuts by hand. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting with cream cheese frosting.
- To make the frosting, mix together the cream cheese, honey and 1 teaspoon of vanilla until smooth and well blended. Spread over the cooled cake.
- Per Serving: 297 calories; 15.2 g fat; 37.5 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 44 mg cholesterol; 233 mg sodium.