Tip: Cooked brown rice can be refrigerated for up to 4 days as long as you cool it quickly and store it in a shallow sealed container. Make a big batch at the beginning of the week to use for speedy salads, side dishes and casseroles.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- pinch ground nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cooked, skinless, boneless chicken breast, shredded
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, mushrooms, carrot, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour until it looks pasty, about 1 minute. Stir in the milk and continue stirring until the sauce thickens, about 4 minutes. Add the cheese and nutmeg. Season with pepper.
- Put the chicken, rice, and spinach in a large bowl, pour the sauce over, and mix well with a large spoon.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into an 8 x 8 cassarole dish. Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
Today's recipe is shared from Healthy Cookbook for Two by Rockridge Press