Sesame Chicken Meatballs
- 10 ounces lean ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon seasoned whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium tamari sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 whole wheat pitas, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded cucumber, with the liquid squeezed out
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 scallion, white and green parts, cut diagonally into 1/8 inch thick slices
- 1. In large bowl, thoroughly mix the chicken, bread crumbs, sesame seeds, egg white, and tamarind and season with pepper. Form the chicken mixture into eight meatballs.
- 2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs until they are cooked through and browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3. Stuff each pita half with two meatballs. Tops the meatballs with the shredded cucumber, sour cream and scallion.
This recipe could also be made with ground pork or turkey instead of the chicken.